My exam preparation always starts two days before the exam. I would rush throughout the day and night. I would complete how much ever I could study. I did all my exams based on this pattern. I cannot promise this way was effective. However, I managed to study and write the exam. You cannot implement this way when you preparing for a standardized exam such as “GAMSAT”.
This way leads you to nowhere. I realized the truth only when I was preparing for GAMSAT. I would like to share the best way of GAMSAT preparation based on my experience.
I practiced an incorrect way of studying during my school and college. It has affected me a lot when I start my GAMSAT preparation. Memorizing is a bad idea in GAMSAT. It cannot help you anyways. Let me explain you some main details about GAMSAT.
What is GAMSAT?
GAMSAT is a standardized exam. It has designed by ACER (Australian Council for Educational Research). It helps to select the potential candidates to study medicine in popular medical schools in Australia, UK and Ireland. It is the medical entrance test. It has divided into three sections. Section 1 and 3 has only multiple choice questions (MCQs). Section 2 has essay writing.
Section 1 tests the reasoning skills in humanities and social science. Section 2 tests the English written communication. Section 3 tests the reasoning skills in biological science and physical science. Ultimately GAMSAT tests your ability of logical reasoning and problem solving. It gives opportunity for students from any major to study medicine. Even non science and ESL students can sit GAMSAT. The syllabus is common for students from different major.
1. Start early and study consistently. It is not advisable to rush.
2. There are lots of study groups available for GAMSAT preparation.
You can check the gamsat forum and join study groups near your area. I would recommend you to join a team of people with different background.
3. Your thought process place a vital role in writing this exam. Your preparation should go along with practicing. Simply reading the text books do not help in GAMSAT preparation.
4. Your GAMSAT preparation should be based on understanding the basic concepts so that you can implement them in any situation given on the question paper and find solution.
5. Section 1 has general knowledge questions. So it is worth Spending time on reading the news paper. Update your current affairs regularly. It really helps in section 1.
6. Read popular novels and short plays to write good essays. There are many written communication practice books are available.
7. Your essays will be effective if you write with simple sentence and vocabularies. I will recommend you to practice writing essays. It will help you in time management as well.
8. In section 3 preparation, you will have to study 1st year university biology and chemistry. Year 12 physics.
9. On top of everything, you need to practice with the previous year question papers. Your major part of preparation should depend on referring the previous years’ question papers and Des O Neil sample question paper. It is evident that questions are repeated every year in GAMSAT. Also many questions are asked similar to the Des’s question pattern. You have more chances to get the same questions that you have worked out.
Also I referred more study tips from various websites related to test preparation and college exam study tips etc. They helped me with wonderful tips to prepare effectively for GAMSAT.